Sunday 10 June 2012

SVA XII Build Up & Chaos Daemons Project

Its been a while but I'm back,
I've had a super busy time of late, so lets start back at the end of SVA XI.
I'd just finished preparing my monster cheesy Chaos double lash uber list. Well as suspected it was overly powerful at times and many of my games were spent apologising for the 6 direct hit plasma cannons that massacred their targets each turn. My punishment for the amount of edam that I was serving was Space Wolves...and so my hatred/love of Space Wolves continued, still I managed 2 draws, so 3 wins & 2 draws was pretty awesome.
My findings from this, a cheesy list is very forgiving, it will let you take it easy in that 4th game when you're a bit burnt out. When you're on it though, it can be seriously powerful and will relentlessly smash your opponent into submission. The Lash to be honest is not the powerful part, the fear of lash is probably worse, the deal maker is the obliterators, these guys are immense! Countless games I used them to tear chunks out of my opponents and when there was armour available on the table then "Blam!" they switch on the Melta or Lascannon and tore it a new one. Great stuff!
Anyway back to the run up to SVA XII
This year I wanted to bring something fluffy and with a great bit of character but would also be fun to play with.
I had a great idea inspired by Desertfox over on his website
http://www.the-vanus-temple.com/gallery/blood-angels/
check it out its very cool.
Well last year it was my 30th and The Code guys clubbed together and hooked me up with my new Sanguinary Guard army.
The list was basically: -
Commander Dante
4-5 lots of Sanguinary Guard
2 Furioso/Librarian Dreadnoughts
2 Sang Priests
I quickly got them all stuck together and Hypaspist had written a great campaign as a run up to SVA XII for me to test them out in. Well after 7 or so games it was clear to me that if I was to have a great weekend at SVA XII I needed to take something that was a little less intense to play with. The sanguinary guard are really unique army but the model count in an army of this nature is so taxing to play with. The 1st turn is make or break usually, if you take heavy casualties then you're in an uphill struggle. If it was not for the absolute obscene power that Dante can unleash then the army would be quite flawed. He can single handedly take on an army if you can avoid the instant death long enough. In combat he is a beast, hive tyrants, no problem, Archons, piece of cake, Deff dredds.....well 2 out of 3 ain't bad, avoid the latter like the plague.
I'll post up some pics of the work in progress as I return to them because as the other guys know I ended up not taking them to SVA. Instead I decided to stick to the Chaos theme and plumped for Chaos Daemons, flavour = Nurgle.

THE NURGLE DAEMON CHAOS PROJECT
I came to this decision in January and calculated that if I started then and continually Glued/Built/Converted & Painted like a crazed mek till SVA then I could get it all done.
I picked a list I had tinkered with in the past and had a fairly solid idea of what I was going to include. I purchased everything I needed over the next couple of months and hammered away in secret at my diseased pretties.
I will post up some work in progress shots but for now here is the finished Army on their display board.
Plaguebearers converted from Crypt Ghouls
Plague Toad Riders (Counts as Bloodcrushers)
Nurgle Daemon Princes
More Plague Toad Riders (Counts as Bloodcrushers)
Soul Grinder converted from Defiler & Giant
Forgeworld Great Unclean One I used as Scabiaethrax & Ku'gath @ SVAXII
Newly Improved GUO
and all the hard work paid off....
Hope you like it all!

Next time I'll post up some more of the army as I worked on it and a few tips and conversion techniques. I'll also run through the fantastic SVA XII and how the Nurgle Daemons faired. I'd also eventually like to touch on Airbrushing which is my new found friend.
Anyways, till next time
Luko Dakka

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant post dude I like the display board, looking forward to more from the dakka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long overdue dude, I did the board for carnage, with the airbrush :-)

    ReplyDelete