Thursday 19 September 2013

Code40k's Next Event: Thoughts on what that may look like.

Hi All,

Doc here, so a while back I promised to write some thoughts down on what it is like to run an event.  Well as per usual life has got in the way and it has taking me until now to get round to it.  Also its getting me round to the process of thinking about Worcester War II.

So after Worcester War we received quite a lot of positive feedback which was muchly appreciated!  However, like anything there were a few problems most notably I did not have a sound plan for when someone had to leave.  I ended stepping in to the breach...  this meant running and playing in the event.  This is not a good state of affairs and as such we will have two organisers in the next event to stop such a problem occurring again.

The other major cause of confusion was the scoring system using the old warhammer style victory points system.  This is where me the organiser playing was not good otherwise I could have gone to each table and helped the totting up process as they got to the end of the game. 

Ok, so the next train of thought is when will we play another WW and where will it be held?  Originally we thought along the lines of November.  Due to family commitments and such this is no longer an appropriate time.  So now the proposal will be end of Jan'14.  A geek weekend to get rid of post Christmas and the weather is shocking blues!

Proposed Changes

The main change I think needed to the event (and I promote comments) is to the scoring system to simplify it?  Last time we used a simple 10 for a win, 3 for a draw and 0 for loss.  This gave us a
basic ranking for the players.  Obviously many players would then have the same score and require the use of warhammer victory points to separate the players on the same score. 

I propose removing the warhammer points and using a bonus system to the points scored above:

+2pts for killing an independent character in a challenge.
+3pts for completing a secondary objective (these will be detailed in the rule pack but basically an extra little objective to go with the standard ones for the eternal war mission you will be playing)
+3pts for wiping out an opponent

-1pt for any unit which flees the battlefield (cowardice should not be rewarded!)
-3pts for being wiped out or conceding

This list isn't exhaustive thoughts people?

Another change I propose is to army composition to remove duplicate choices in elites, fast attack and heavy support sections.  I have read others thoughts around this particularly on from the fang who runs a successful blog wars event which is on to its 6th event now.  This will stop hell turkey lists amongst others and hopefully promote more varied army lists.  To coincide with this I will now ask for army lists to be sent prior to the event and approved. 

Ok, so these are my thoughts at present, feedback is always welcome especially as this is not set in stone.  The aim would to be have the rules pack, date and venue set by the end of October. 

In the meantime keep gaming people

DOC out.........



3 comments:

  1. Me and my mate are looking forward to the next WW and hopefully he won't have to leave during his first game next time.

    I'm not to sure on the point of the -3points for being tabled? Is that taken from your overall tournament score because it seems a little harsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. WW13 was a great event and I am really looking forward to the next one.

    I must admit, I did not fully understand the last point system used and was one of the ones that needed help, but you did a fantastic job and I think any changes you make would be for the better.

    I agree with Yeti Lover though, -3 for getting wiped out does seem a little harsh.

    How about if you do get wiped out or concede, you don't get any points awarded for what you did achieve. i.e. if I got 1st blood and killed an IC but got tabled, I would not get the +5 points due?

    Just an idea, but keep us updated. Looking forward to the WW14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both for comments, we are working though this as a group at the moment. I will be co organising with another member of the group. The pts ideas are being worked through at the moment so yes I will post more as we get it up and running.

    ReplyDelete