Monday, 10 June 2013

Worcester War Preparation

The 3 week countdown has begun to Worcester War. Normally I would be frantically painting or buying things to use in the tournament Here is my list of last minute paint:

  • Carnage 2009, buy and paint an army in 2 months, and learn how to play 40k
  • Norwich Tournament 2009 paint 3 land speeders in a week
  • SVA 2012 paint Warhound titian in 1 months
  • Carnage 2012 year paint 4 dreads in 2 weeks
  • Norwich tournament 2012 paint 20 Paladins and Draigo in 1 month
  • SVA 2013 paint 2 storm talons and 54 scouts in 1 week

As you can see I like to leave painting until the last minute. This time however I am pretty much complete everything that I would need for WW13, and all the models that I own!

Here is my WIP of Belial


An my DV |Chaplain:

i have the armour to highlight and details to pick out , but they are nearly finished.

Also I have completed my games board that I showed you earlier in the month. I think it has gone well. There are things I would definitely do differently. When building the frame I would use glue as well as the screws. As it is stored in my garage then it is affected by damp and the top is warping (very 40k) a little. The board should have been glued to the frame as well as screwed. The painting and texturing was again ok, but I would change how I did the texturing. I mixed sand paint glue and water and then painted the board. The sand has clumped more than I expected and so the texture is a little rougher than I would have liked. I should have glued and then put sand on then sealed with paint. But we we’ll see how it works. The board cost less than £40 so I can always make another one!

I have also used my airbrush for the first time. Historically I have not liked painting yellow on my guys as it takes too much paint and never looks great. I have to used 2 layers of white then 2 layers of yellow. The troops I can get away with but the tanks seem to look shonky. I have limited the amount of yellow on them and they look a little plain. Now I have the airbrush I tested on 2 tanks and painted the doors. I used a vindicator and a razorback. Here are the results. I am very happy with the covering. I need to practice with the brush as it kept blocking so maybe the mixture was too thick then after I had thinned it was pooling in places, too thin?? Practice will start as I have 8 rhinos that need the doors painting!

The Vallejo Golden yellow is no where near the same colour as the GW one, even though internet wisdom suggested that was the same colour.

My final thought is what army to take to WW13. The great thing about WW13 is that it is 1500pts. At 2000 you can take a solid list and have a few points for something a bit new, 1750, your only thing you have to think about is a few bits of wargear, but 1500 you will have to make sacrifices. In 5th I played with 2 tactical squads as my scoring units, one in a land raider and one in a rhino. With the changes in mission selection in 6th that tactic is not flexible enough anymore, and you have flyers to deal with. I think you need at least 2.5 strong scoring units in a space marine list now. I have 3 lists to choose from and I am trying one of them out tonight to see how it works. If it works well then I will go with that if not then I will use one I am a little more familiar with….

No comments:

Post a Comment